Well, the rumours are confirmed now. BuddyPress is going to be available for single user WordPress installs, later this year. The news has been confirmed by Andy Peatling, the lead developer behind BuddyPress, whom Automattic (the parent company behind WordPress) recruited to build BuddyPress.
This tweet was in reply to the following tweet
It’s really very good news that BuddyPress is going to be available for single user WordPress installs, because when compared with WordPress MU, single-use WP is easy to install and maintain. Also this will surely increase the adoption rate of BuddyPress.
Also BuddyPress is getting stable and the 1.0 version might be released on Feb 12th 2009.
Meanwhile, if you are wondering what the heck is BuddyPress, then let me explain. It is a set of WordPress MU Plugins which will convert a plain WordPress MU install into a social network platform. You can get more information about BuddyPress at it’s about page.
- Joined 10up
- WP Github Gist plugin now supports the new Gist API
- Twitter Avatar plugin now supports the new Twitter API
- How To Properly Create Tables In WordPress Multisite Plugins
- Email Log plugin is now fully WordPress Multisite compatible
- Prevent users from adding new terms to custom taxonomy in WordPress