Every now and then I used get a call from a new number in my mobile. When I pick it up the person on the other side of the line, usually greet me with my name and ask me whether I am interested in getting a credit card or personal loan. Only then I can realize that it is a telemarketing call from a bank. I usually say no and the person at the other end ends the call. But some guys get really creative and will start the conversation by saying that I have been chosen by there XXXX bank from a lucky draw (which I know about only now) and have been awarded a free credit card or a new account. Sometimes they even know my personal information like my full name, where I work, my full address, my mobile number, sometimes even my official desk number, my salary and sometimes even my age.
I usually stop them by saying that I am a student and don’t have a monthly salary and they will promptly say that the offer is only for a person who works and earns a decent salary. This can be an amusement if I am in a good mood or free at that time but can get really irritating if I am in a meeting with my clients or was in a very bad mood.
I do know that as per RBI regulation, every bank should have a mandatory ‘Do Not Disturb Me‘ page on their website. But I was too lazy to go to every bank’s site and find the page. But just now I found that Vadivel has done it and here are the links for the top banks. Thanks a ton Vadivel. At least now these banks will leave me alone.
- ICICI Bank – http://www.inuonline.com/dnc/donotcall.asp
- Citibank – http://www.online.citibank.co.in/portal/cbol/CLS02L06.htm
- Deutsche bank – http://www.deutschebank.co.in/1078.html
- Standard Chartered Bank – https://play.standardchartered.com/smail/in/IN15/index.html
- HDFC Bank – https://www.hdfcbank.com/applications/misc/dnc/dnc.htm
- ABN Amro Bank – http://mail.abnamrobank.co.in/do_not_call_service_contact_from_home_1.asp
Update (26-Feb-2007): Few more