Well, after wanting to do it for many years, I have finally bitten the bullet and have changed the permalink structure of the posts in my blog.
When I moved from blogspot to WordPress, (some 6 years ago) I retained the structure of the blog posts to the usual year/month/date/postname format. But later, I realized that this results in long urls and also these days the date is not adding any additional information to the blog posts.
I have been thinking of changing the permalink structure to the shorter /postname format for quite some time now, but was always worried about setting up the proper 301 redirects.
But at last I did it today, with just one line in my .htaccess file, which looks something like this.
So if you are planning to change your permalink structure then follow these steps.
- Disable caching. (If you using Plugins like wp-super-cache etc.)
- Add the above line to your .htaccess file
- Change the permalink structure
- Re enable cache
And you are done.
If you want you can also create a new sitemap.xml file which could speed up the index update by Google.
- Easy Retweet plugin now supports Google Analytics tracking
- Creating new pages in WordPress through code
- Developing WordPress Plugins in Github
- Completely rewrote WP-IRC Plugin
- WordPress Plugin to add Foss.in badge
- Posts By Tag Plugin now supports excluding current post
- Started tracking time spend on my pet projects
- Bulk Delete Plugin now supports deleting by permalink
- Adopted Cron debug log WordPress Plugin
- Phishing attempts to get your wordpress.org password