It’s been quite sometime since I read anything substantial and so I am planning to take a “reading break” and want to dedicate my free time in the next couple of months for reading.
Since I have a couple of months for this, I don’t want to read short stories or a single novel. Instead, I want to read a series so that once the characters are introduced, they will continue to be present for most of the series. This will be an important factor for me, since it motivates me to complete all the books in the series. This is one of the reason, why I was able to complete the entire Sherlock Holmes series in less than a week 🙂
I am not very particular about the genre very much, but I would prefer either Fantasy or Sci-Fi. The series that immediately came to my mind were Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. I posted about it today morning in Twitter and asked for recommendations.
I am planning to spend a couple of months reading fantasy/fiction. What is your recommendation? Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings
— Sudar (@sudarmuthu) September 26, 2013
Within a few minutes, I got the following good suggestions and now I have the tough job of picking it up from here 😉
- Harry Potter series (recommend by Jithesh)
- The Lord of the Rings series (recommended by Haris)
- Foundation series and I, Robot by Isaac Asimov (recommend by Haris, Jithesh and Praveen)
- Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series (recommended by Kiran)
- Contact by Carl Sagan (recommended by Praveen)
- Freedom (recommended by Subbu)
- Artemis Fowl series (recommended by Ravi Shankar)
- Hitchhiker series (recommended by Ravi Shankar)
- A Game of Thrones (recommended by Raman Dokka)
- Malazan Book of the Fallen (recommended by Sriram)
I have not made up my mind yet, but I am leaning towards Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
Meanwhile, if you guys have any more suggestions, kindly do let me know.
Update: I have decided to take up Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov first. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.