Geo Mark is a WordPress Plugin which will automatically locate Geo information in your WordPress posts using Yahoo Placemaker and YQL API’s.
Once the Geo location is located, it will add this information as custom fields to the post. The information stored in the custom field can be displayed anywhere in the post using the build in
get_post_meta() function. The Plugin also exposes template functions which can be used to generate GEO Microformats based on the location information found in the post.
The Geo Mark Plugin also lets you to expose the location based information in RSS feeds. The Geo information stored in the custom field can be used to create Geo tags in the RSS feed. The Plugin supports the following Geo RSS formats.
- Simple (georss:point)
- GML (gml:pos)
- W3C (geo:lat)
Extract the zip file and just drop the contents in the wp-content/plugins/ directory of your WordPress installation and then activate the Plugin from Plugins page.
Enabling Geo RSS
To enable Geo RSS, go to settings –> Geo Mark and check the “Enable GeoRSS tags in feed” option. You can also choose which format of Geo RSS that you want to support.
- Belorussian (Thanks FatCow)
- Lithuanian (Thanks Nata of Web Hub)
- Bulgarian (Thanks Dimitar Kolevski of Web Geek)
- Spanish (Thanks Brian Flores of InMotion Hosting)
- Romanian (Thanks Alexander Ovsov of Web Geek Sciense)
- Hindi (Thanks Outshine Solutions)
The pot file is available with the Plugin. If you are willing to do translation for the Plugin, use the pot file to create the .po files for your language and let me know. I will add it to the Plugin after giving credit to you.
If you have any comments or if you want to report any bugs, please leave a comment below or contact me in Twitter.
I would be posting updates about this Plugin in my blog and in Twitter. If you want to be informed when new version of this Plugin is released, then you can either subscribe to this blog’s RSS feed or follow me in Twitter.
Say Thank you
If you find this Plugin useful or like it and wanted to say thank you, then there are ways to make me happy 🙂 and I would really appreciate if you can do one of those.
- 2009-07-07 – v0.1 – Initial Release
- 2009-07-21 – v0.2 – Fixed issue in handling empty arrays
- 2009-07-22 – v0.3 – Added support for translation.
- 2009-08-15 – v0.4 – Fixed a small typo.
- 2009-08-18 – v0.5 – Removed hard coded Plugin path and some bug fixes.
- 2010-01-02 – v0.6 – Added Belorussian translation.
- 2011-09-05 – v0.7 – Added Lithuanian and Bulgarian translations.
- 2011-12-13 – v0.8 – Added Spanish translations.
- 2012-03-13 – v0.9 – Added Romanian translations.
- 2012-07-23 – v0.9.1
Dev time: 0.5 hour
- Added Hindi Translations