ArrayAdapter is a special kind of ListAdapter which supplies data to ListView. You can refer to my notes for last week to know about ListView and ListAdapter. You can also read about ArrayAdapter in android documentation.
First create an empty android project. Then edit the main.xml layout file to add a ListView. Then create another layout xml file which will contain the TextView (or any component) that will be displayed within the ListView.
The next step is to change the generated activity class to extend from ListActivity. This is very important because only a ListActivity will be able to display the ListView.
Binding the adapter
The next step is to bind the ArrayAdapter to the ListActivity. We can do this by calling the
To this method we have to pass an object of type ArrayAdapter. You can pass an object reference to this method or we can even create a new anonymous method like below.
We have to override the
getView() method of the ArrayAdapter class to create the TextView (or any other component) which will be created for each list.
So that’s it, you are done. All you have to do now is to save the project and run it in the emulator. If everything is done properly, then you can see the list of items displayed in the ListView like below.
I have uploaded the entire project source code into github and you download it from there and verify it with your code.
Try to complete the homework, before the next session and do come back to view the notes and the homework for the next session too.
- Recovering Android KeyStore password
- Changing the playback speed of Youtube videos
- Using WebSockets with Android to control Arduino robots
- 10 more open source Android apps which every developer must look into
- Building Robots using Android and Arduino in Google Devfestx
- Transferring data from Android using Audio
- Dissecting my wedding program
- Building Robots using Arduino and Android at DroidCon
- Using standard Arduino board as Google's ADK kit
- Conditional code compilation in Java