Because of the recent changes in Twitter API, my Twitter Avatar Reloaded WordPress plugin stopped working. I rewrote the way my plugin communicates with Twitter and updated the code to use the new API and now my plugin works again.
New Twitter Backend
Instead of rewriting the entire Twitter backend again, I am not using the excellent wp-twitter-api, provided by @timwhitlock which allows you to easily communicate with Twitter API from your WordPress plugin.
If you are a WordPress plugin developer and want to communicate to the Twitter API from your WordPress plugin, then I would highly recommend you to use wp-twitter-api, instead of creating your own.
Setting up Twitter App
The new version of the Twitter API needs you to make authenticated calls even to get some basic information about a twitter screen name. So after you installed the plugin you need to follow these steps so that the plugin could interact with the Twitter API.
- Register a Twitter application at https://dev.twitter.com/apps
- Note the Consumer key and Consumer secret under OAuth settings
- Log into WordPress admin and go to Settings > Twitter API
- Enter the consumer key and secret and click ‘Save settings’
- Click the ‘Connect to Twitter’ button and follow the prompts.
This is a mandatory update. You can download the latest version of the Plugin from the Plugin’s homepage or install it using the Plugin installer.
Please keep the feedback coming and if you want me to add any new features or find a bug, please leave a comment or post about it in twitter.
- Email Log WordPress plugin v1.9.1 released
- Email Log WordPress plugin v1.9 released
- How to find if you are on the last page of a multi-page post in WordPress
- Easy Retweet WordPress plugin v3.1 Released
- Creating custom tables with correct Character Set and Collation in WordPress
- My contributions to WordPress 4.4