Well, the rumours are confirmed now. BuddyPress is going to be available for single user WordPress installs, later this year. The news has been confirmed by Andy Peatling, the lead developer behind BuddyPress, whom Automattic (the parent company behind WordPress) recruited to build BuddyPress.
This tweet was in reply to the following tweet
It’s really very good news that BuddyPress is going to be available for single user WordPress installs, because when compared with WordPress MU, single-use WP is easy to install and maintain. Also this will surely increase the adoption rate of BuddyPress.
Also BuddyPress is getting stable and the 1.0 version might be released on Feb 12th 2009.
Meanwhile, if you are wondering what the heck is BuddyPress, then let me explain. It is a set of WordPress MU Plugins which will convert a plain WordPress MU install into a social network platform. You can get more information about BuddyPress at it’s about page.
- Easy Retweet plugin now supports Google Analytics tracking
- Creating new pages in WordPress through code
- Developing WordPress Plugins in Github
- Completely rewrote WP-IRC Plugin
- WordPress Plugin to add Foss.in badge
- Posts By Tag Plugin now supports excluding current post
- Started tracking time spend on my pet projects
- Bulk Delete Plugin now supports deleting by permalink
- Adopted Cron debug log WordPress Plugin
- Phishing attempts to get your wordpress.org password