I didn’t have much to do last weekend and so I thought of giving a try to Google Gadget and ended up developing my first Google Gadget – Bloglines Notifier. As the name implies it will notify you the count of unread items in your Bloglines account. (Nothing special just a trivial one )
You need to enter your Bloglines account email id and it will retrieve the unread count using the Bloglines API and display it in the Gadget screen. The count will be automatically refreshed according to the interval set in the Gadget settings. Since Bloglines doesn’t need you to be authenticated before retrieving the unread count you don’t need to enter your Bloglines account password.
The Google Gadget API is very simple to start with but at the same time very powerful if you need to do complex or advanced things. If you are interested grab the Google Gadget API Developers Guide and get started. It’s actually that simple.
The full source code of this Gadget is available here and if you are interested you can add it to your personalized page by clicking this button.
Now I can have one icon less in my system tray. BTW if you guys have a nice idea for a Gadget, let me know I shall give a try.
- Code sample to access YQL from PHP
- Consolidated all my code in github
- Associating urls created with bit.ly API to your account
- Updated FeedBurner stats Google Gadget
- Using FriendFeed API in your WordPress Plugin
- Running multiple instances of Google Talk
- Google Gadget to keep track of your FeedBurner stats
- Get the current time for any city using Google
- Some new additions to Google Search Syntax
- Google Search - Combining allinurl with the keyword search